Cake or pie?

Sunday, November 30, 2008

A&P Muscle Practical Final

On Tuesday, I have my practical final for my Anatomy & Physiology class, and it's on the muscles. We have to know the muscle name, origin, insertion, and action of each muscle we were assigned. The origin of a muscle is pretty straight-forward, it is where the muscle originates, and the insertion is where the muscle terminates, or ends. When a muscle is flexed, like the biceps brachii for example, the insertion moves towards the origin. There are 42 in total we are responsible for, and it has been pretty ambiguous as far as how the practical will be set up. We had a bone practical for our midterm grade, which was pretty straight forward: different bones were set up around the perimeter of the lab's benches, with features tagged A/B/C/D, half the class had an A/C practical and half had B/D, where they were responsible for identifying A&C or B&D. The reason I'm not sure about the muscle practical final is that there are a lot of models in the A&P lab but we haven't had time or access to become familiar with them, which could potentially be a problem, especially for people who aren't so spatially-oriented that they can look at a picture in a lab text and relate it to a 3D model, pointing out origins, insertions and actions. Here are the muscles I'm responsible for (I realize this could be a lot worse!):

  1. frontalis (epicranius - frontal belly) O: galea aponeurosis / I: skin of the eyebrows / A: raises eyebrows
  2. orbicularis oris O: muscles around mouth / I: encircles mouth, inserts into corers of mouth / A: closes mouth, purses lips
  3. orbicularis oculi - O: frontal & maxillary bones / I: encircles orbit; inserts into tissue of eyelid / A: closes eyes for blinking, squinting
  4. masseter - O: maxilla and zygomatic arch / I: ramus and angle of mandible / A: closes jaw, elevates mandible
  5. temporalis - O: temporal bones / I: coronoid process of mandible / A: closes jaw; elevates/retracts mandible
  6. sternocleidomastoid - O: manubrium of sternum & medial clavicle / I: mastoid process of temporal bone / A: flexion of neck w/ both, head rotation to opposite side with one
  7. pectoralis major - O: clavicle, sternum / I: intertubercular sulcus of humerus / A: arm flexion
  8. deltoid - O: clavicle, acromion process and scapula / I: deltoid tuberosity of humerus / A: arm abduction
  9. pectoralis minor - O: anterior ribs 3-5 / I: coracoid process of scapula / A: draws scapula forward and inferiorly
  10. external intercostals - O: inferior border of rib above / I: superior border of rib below / A: elevates rib cage
  11. internal intercostals - O: superior border of rib below / I: inferior border of rib above / A: depresses rib cage
  12. diaphragm - O: inferior border or rib & sternum, costal cartilages and lumbar / I: central tendon / A: increases thorax for inspiration
  13. rectus abdominis - O: pubic crest and symphysis / I: xiphoid process & costal cartilages / A: flex & rotate vertebral column
  14. external oblique - O: anterior of lower 8 ribs / I: linea alba, pubic crest & iliac crest / A: flex & rotate vertebral column
  15. internal oblique - O: lumbar fascia, iliac crest & inguinal ligament / I: linea alba, pubic crest & costal cartilage of last 3 ribs / A: flex & rotate vertebral column
  16. transverse abdominis - O: inguinal ligament, iliac crest, cartilage of last 5 ribs / I: linea alba & pubic crest / A: compresses abdomen
  17. trapezius - O: occipital bone, C7 spine & thoracic vertebrae / I: clavicle, acromion & spinous process of scapula / A: head extension, raises, rotate, adducts scapula
  18. latissimus dorsi - O: spinous processes of T & L vertebrae / I: intertubercular sulcus of humerus / A: extends, adducts, medially rotates arm
  19. infraspinatus - O: infraspinous fossa of scapula / I: greater tubercle of humerus / A: lateral rotation of humerus, stabilizes shoulder
  20. teres minor - O: lateral scapula / I: greater tubercle of humerus / A: lateral rotation of humerus, stabilizes shoulder
  21. teres major - O: inferior scapula / I: intertubercular sulcus of humerus / A: extension, medially rotates, adducts humerus
  22. supraspinatus - O: supraspinous fossa of scapula / I: greater tubercle of humerus / A: stabilizes shoulder, adducts humerus
  23. subscapularis - O: subscapular fossa of scapula / I: lesser tubercle of humerus / A: medial rotation of humerus
  24. rhomboid major - O: spinous processes of C7 & T1-T5 / I: medial border of scapula / A: retracts and stabilizes scapula
  25. rhomboid minor - O: spinous processes of C7 & T1-T5 / I: medial border of scapula / A: retracts and stabilizes scapula
  26. triceps brachii - O: infraglenoid tubercle of scapula; posterior humerus; distal radial groove / I: olecranon process of ulna / A: forearm extension
  27. biceps brachii - O: coracoid process; intertubercular sulcus of humerus / I: radial tuberosity / A: elbow flexion, forearm supination
  28. brachioradialis - O: distal end of humerus / I: styloid process of radius / A: forearm flexion
  29. brachialis - O: distal anterior humerus / I: coronoid process of ulna / A: forearm flexion
  30. sartorius - O: anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS) / I: medial proximal tibia / A: flexion, abduction and lateral rotation of thigh, flexes knee
  31. gracilis - O: inferior ramus & body of pubis / I: medial tibia inferior to medial condyle / A: adducts thigh, flexes & medially rotates leg
  32. rectus femoris - O: anterior inferior iliac spine / I: tibial tuberosity & patella / A: knee extension, thigh flexion @ hip
  33. vastus lateralis - O: greater trochanter & linea aspera / I: tibial tuberosity & patella / A: extends, stabilizes knee
  34. vastus medialis - O: linea aspera of femur / I: tibial tuberosity & patella / A: extends, stabilizes knee
  35. vastus intermedius - O: anterior & lateral femur / I: tibial tuberosity & patella / A: extends knee
  36. gluteus maximus - O: dorsal ilium, sacrum, coccyx / I: gluteal tuberosity of femur / A: thigh extension, laterally rotates & adducts thigh
  37. gluteus medium - O: upper ilium / I: greater trochanter of femur / A: abducts & medially rotates thigh
  38. biceps femoris - O: ischial tuberosity; linea aspera & distal femur / I: head of fibula & lateral condyle of tibia / A: thigh extension; laterally rotates leg; flexes knee
  39. semitendinosus - O: ischial tuberosity / I: tibial shaft / A: thigh extension; flexes knee; medially rotates leg
  40. semimembranosus - O: ischial tuberosity / I: medial condyle of tibia; lateral condyle of femur / A: thigh extension; flexes knee; medially rotates leg
  41. tibialis anterior - O: lateral condyle of tibia / I: 1st metatarsal bone / A: dorsiflexion, inverts foot
  42. gastrocnemius - O: medial & lateral condyles of femur / I: calcaneus / A: plantarflexion

No comments: